A 4:30 AM confession

I'm another male who's up at 4:30 no matter what. Done it all my life, I think. When I was 7 or 8, I used to wake up to listen to the morning farm report on the radio. After the farm report, Louis Bromfield [author of "The Rain Came"] had a 5 minute essay-type show about his Arkansas farm and the things he was doing to make it more productive--like planting deep-rooted legumes to break up the clay.

Those farm programs are gone now. No point, I guess, in telling a corporation about the inherent evils of a mold-board plow or single-cropping or--much more recently--GMOs.

Anyway, I still get up at 4:30, turn the light on in the bathroom, and look in the mirror to be certain I see a reflection. And, because I'm always about 30 years younger in my dreams than I am on my clock, the reflection clears all the morning cobwebs and sets me straight. My daily reality check.

Meantime, as I told Ms. Fatma this morning, I think I'm beginning to become speckled.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10