Re: The August garden report (loooong)

Only place I have ever grown sweet peppers with success was in SoCal. We blanched and stuffed our excess before freezing.

Don't know why hot peppers seem hardier than sweet, but I got a theory about it that has to do with hybridizing and the hybridizer's home base. Far and away, most of the modern hot pepper varieties were developed in New Mexico, which has a hot, dry growing season. The only cool in New Mexico summers is in the higher elevations--but Santa Fe's 6,300+ feet and hot, hot, hot during the day.