To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 4:51 PM
Subject: [CHAT] orchid/weather/yard

Mr. Singer,
Do Phalenopsis grow for you? I have one languishing in my bathroom you can
have. Pretty magenta with white striped lip. Definitely not happy here. Let me
know if you want it. I've decided I should enjoy the blooms & not feel guilty
if they don't do well.
Andrea & Noreen,
let me know if either of you would like some of my hand me down orchids. I
usually buy pink or white phalenopsis or dendrobiums.
We had some nice weather last week. mid 80s to low 90s. 90s & 100s again this
week. Wildfire in the canyons so the air is full of smoke. Trying to get the
weeds down to an unobtrusive level. Ed dug out the area by the street and laid
weed barrier & bark mulch over the past few weeks. Looking a little better.
It's been a mess since the city did utility work a couple years ago.
Kitty, how did your street work situation turn out?
My birch (by the street) & pine trees (west side of house) are dying. Borer
infestations. Will have the big birches out when the tree service can get to
us. There will be some open space for some small trees or large shrubs. I'm
looking at 'Nikita's Promise' persimmon and saturn peaches, maybe a small
bamboo or some grass. The Cornus Florida have seedlings there too.
I think I'll underplant the pines with rhododendron, & witch hazel. Maybe some
clump bamboo there too.
Judy B z 6 Idaho