Re: orchid/weather/yard

Didn't hold its blooms as long as usual, last bud just dried up, 2 of 3 leaves turned yellow & fell off, no new leaves I can see. Started to decline during the really hot spell. It may have been too much cold air from the air conditioner. Or not enough moisture. That was the week I was gone, lost several things outside too.

From: "Cathy Carpenter"
Why do you think it is not doing well?

Cathy, west central IL, z5b

On Aug 8, 2006, at 3:51 PM, Judy Browning wrote:

Mr. Singer,
Do Phalenopsis grow for you? I have one languishing in my bathroom
you can
have. Pretty magenta with white striped lip. Definitely not happy
here. Let me
know if you want it. I've decided I should enjoy the blooms & not
feel guilty
if they don't do well.
Andrea & Noreen,
 let me know if either of you would like some of my hand me down
orchids. I
usually buy pink or white phalenopsis or dendrobiums.
We had some nice weather last week. mid 80s to low 90s. 90s & 100s
again this
week. Wildfire in the canyons so the air is full of smoke. Trying
to get the
weeds down to an unobtrusive level. Ed dug out the area by the
street and laid
weed barrier & bark mulch over the past few weeks. Looking a little
better.
It's been a mess since the city did utility work a couple years ago.
Kitty, how did your street work situation turn out?
My birch (by the street) & pine trees (west side of house) are
dying. Borer
infestations. Will have the big birches out when the tree service
can get to
us. There will be some open space for some small trees or large
shrubs. I'm
looking at 'Nikita's Promise' persimmon and saturn peaches, maybe a
small
bamboo or some grass. The Cornus Florida have seedlings there too.
I think I'll underplant the pines with rhododendron, & witch hazel.
Maybe some
clump bamboo there too.
Judy B z 6 Idaho