Re: Re: frogs....released pets

I think Bufos were originally brought in by the sugar growers in Florida to eat some pest, and they just multiplied. There is an anti-toxin for the poison excreted by them. Not all dogs die; ours just foamed at the mouth and his eyes twirled around. The toxin is very psychoactive. Toad licking was at one time a popular way to get high in California and other western states.
zem
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 7:02 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Re: frogs....released pets

Oh my gosh, Zem. I don't think we have those here. I had to look it up to
see what it was. First impression was that it looked very similar to our
native Gulf Coast Toad....but upon reading further
(http://www.floridagardener.com/critters/BufoMarinus.htm ) it sounded more like a bullfrog on steroids.
WOW. Scarey that a dog or cat that bites it dies within a few hours. So I'm
assuming this is another pet that escaped??? Was not clear if it was
introduced on purpose or accidental. Hmmm...maybe the pythons are released to get
the toads that were released to get the rats. So were the rats released to
eat the Kudsu, that was realeased..... Geesh.....what next??
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 8/15/2006 11:02:40 PM Central Standard Time,