From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2006 10:12 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Ummm...

Went to  early church, came home and made tabbolleh (sp?)  to take to a
garden club luncheon in Connecticut.  One of our members has sold  her
10-acre multi-million home in Westchester County because they said they
couldn't afford the taxes.  We have all been giggling about this since the
announcement in February.  They have bought a place in Connecticut - come on
now, Fairfield County, Ct., is less expensive than Westchester?  Anyway they
have only about six acres in Ct., and a somewhat smaller house.  The house
needed great renovations, so the poor dears had to live from February until
last month in the guest house on the property, and obviously spent a lot
more than their annual tax bill on the work. The point of all this is that
this couple have entertained our club every year of its existance - 16 years
- in August, and  they were determined to do so again this year.  It was
about a two-hour drive from here, but the club turned out - we were all
curious to see this place.  It is a great change from their previous place,
and promises to be a more interesting place than what they had.  This person
is a great horticulturist, but a total control freak.  She is planning to
cut down a large maple tree in their patio because she can't stand the mess
from the samaras.  Just last week they had a bulldozer come to clean out the
yellow flag irises that the previous owner had growing around the pond.
These are wild things and totally unacceptable.
Some people just can't appreciate natural beauty.  This is a good person but
she makes herself unhappy because things are not perfect.  How much happier
she would be if she could see the beauty in natural variations.  Oh well,
we're all not perfect.
Auralie