Re: Ummm...

Amen Auralie.  I'd be happy about the irises and the pond.  Watering here
from dawn until dark.  Did get Tony's bed weeded out today despite the 100 +
temps for the umpteenth day in a row.  Got some hackberry seedlings whacked
off and treated all the shrubs out back to a dose of greensand.  Did some
on-line errands for some upcoming birthdays, scrubbed out all the birdbaths
made some preliminary plans w/ the folks who are coming down in Nov.  Have
some new doves too, big ones, white w/ little rings around their necks.
Never seen them before.  Will have to check the bird book tomorrow to find
out what they are.  Gorgeous.

> Went to  early church, came home and made tabbolleh (sp?)  to take
> to a garden club luncheon in Connecticut.  One of our members has
> sold  her 10-acre multi-million home in Westchester County because
> they said they couldn't afford the taxes.  We have all been giggling
> about this since the announcement in February.  They have bought
> a place in Connecticut - come on now, Fairfield County, Ct., is less
> expensive than Westchester?  Anyway they have only about six
> acres in Ct., and a somewhat smaller house.  The house needed
> great renovations, so the poor dears had to live from February until
> last month in the guest house on the property, and obviously spent
> a lot more than their annual tax bill on the work. The point of all this
> is that this couple have entertained our club every year of its
> existance - 16 years - in August, and  they were determined to
> do so again this year.  It was about a two-hour drive from here, but
> the club turned out - we were all curious to see this place.  It is
> a great change from their previous place, and promises to be a more
> interesting place than what they had.  This person is a great
> horticulturist, but a total control freak.  She is planning to cut down
> a large maple tree in their patio because she can't stand the mess
> from the samaras.  Just last week they had a bulldozer come to
> clean out the yellow flag irises that the previous owner had growing
> around the pond.  These are wild things and totally unacceptable.
> Some people just can't appreciate natural beauty.  This is a good
> person but she makes herself unhappy because things are not
> perfect.  How much happier she would be if she could see the
> beauty in natural variations.  Oh well, we're all not perfect.
> Auralie

Pam Evans
Kemp TX
zone 8A