little tree's bloom)!   #2 and #4 are the same plant (would have been
nice to know this in the first place).

So- I think that
#1/#6 flowers do look like clethra, but it definitely isn't a shrub- it
has a trunk and is about 8 feet tall with a typical tree shape (I saw it
in May- before it bloomed).

#2/#4- flowers are much bigger than nepeta (I know it is impossible to
know this from the picture).  They are similar in size to physostegia
(obediant plant)- think I slaughtered the spelling there.

#3-  I assumed this was some kind of azalea/rhododendron.  The plant is
the right size and shape, even if the flowers aren't that exciting.
Again- having some sense of scale would have helped you.  Any further
guesses, given this new info about size?

#6 is some kind of phlox.  You are right it looks very much like 'Bill
Baker'- and I suspect the picture was taken earlier and just finally got
sent to me with the rest of her mysteries.  I'm counting this one as solved!

#7 is a big mystery. Some kind of foundation shrub.

I think you nailed #8- thank you.  Good lord, that tree is plants in
between 2 ceders (they are maybe 5ft on either side of it).  Wait until
I tell my sister that it is going to grow to be 30 ft tall!  She said
that the japanese beetle love this tree- so maybe it won't get that big??

Thanks for brainstorming with me on this!

Theresa