Re: Mystery plants

> #1/#6 flowers do look like clethra, but it definitely isn't a shrub- it
> has a trunk and is about 8 feet tall with a typical tree shape (I saw it
> in May- before it bloomed).

Clethra alnifolia can get 8' high and look treeish, so I'm still going to
stick with that.  :)

> #2/#4- flowers are much bigger than nepeta (I know it is impossible to
> know this from the picture).  They are similar in size to physostegia
> (obediant plant)- think I slaughtered the spelling there.

Nepeta subsessilis does have large flowers -- they can be an inch long on
plants up to 4' high.  So I'm going to stick with this guess too.  :)

(It's a pretty cool plant that I hope to have an inventory sometime)

> #3-  I assumed this was some kind of azalea/rhododendron.  The plant is
> the right size and shape, even if the flowers aren't that exciting.
> Again- having some sense of scale would have helped you.  Any further
> guesses, given this new info about size?

Not really.  Since I can't grow them, I have nothing to relate to.  :(

> #6 is some kind of phlox.  You are right it looks very much like 'Bill
> Baker'- and I suspect the picture was taken earlier and just finally got
> sent to me with the rest of her mysteries.  I'm counting this one as solved!

> #7 is a big mystery. Some kind of foundation shrub.

Wow!  So it's definitely a hardy plant there?  I thought that it might've
been some sort of tropical species.

I like to think that I know woody plants, but this one has me, err,

> I think you nailed #8- thank you.  Good lord, that tree is plants in
> between 2 ceders (they are maybe 5ft on either side of it).  Wait until
> I tell my sister that it is going to grow to be 30 ft tall!  She said
> that the japanese beetle love this tree- so maybe it won't get that big??

They are kind of slow growing, but kind of nice.  Here the beetles don't
touch it, but we have lots of birches that they prefer.  Maybe Boston is
too warm for birches?

It is a great tree and worth cutting out the cedars for.  :)  Or at
least limbing them up; it does well in an understory as well.