Re: Local lotus

I totally enjoyed that book. As to the earthworms, there was a great article about that in the May issue of National Geographic. The article was actually on the founding of Jamestown. Seems earthworms were brought here in the ballast of the English ships purely by accident. Honeybees were brought on purpose for making mead. There is supposed to be an NG special on their current findings at the Jamestown site. For instance, they have discovered a 400 year old tobacco seed in a well that had been sealed over in the 18th century and only recently repoened. The discovery of the seed proved the type of tobacco John Rolfe grew. It was a fascinating article, and I hope I haven't missed the documentary. It should be amazing.
zone 7
West TN
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2007 6:02 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Local lotus

I think you both might enjoy "Aliens in the Backyard" by John Leland.  He
makes numerous points about the fact that many...in some cases most...of
our plants are not native to this continent. Certainly most of the grasses
and foods we use.  Maybe a lot of people get confused non-native and
invasive since many of the trouble plants are non-native.  What surprised
me was that most earthworms are not native and create a different chemistry
for plants.