Re: slow news day

Still here, Kitty.  Just catching my breath and still cleaning up after all
the excitement of the fallen tree and big family party.  We spent three
days with our Colorado son in Cape May.  I was glad to have the chnace
to visit and get acquainted with the two-year-old granddaughter, but the
five-year-old grandson needs some discipline.  I don't tell them that,
When we got back there was still an awful lot of clean-up to be done.
All the pots on the front doorstoop were smashed.  This included two
very large old hibiscus plants, both over ten years old.  The deer had
already eaten them pretty badly earlier this year.  Surprisingly, after
ten days of lying crushed in their smashed pots, both were putting
out new leaves!  I had thought I would just write them off, and was
waiting to figure out what to do with all the debris, but when I saw this,
I felt I had to give them a chance.  They are really members of the
family, after all.  So I had to go out and buy large pots to put them
into and then get the pots filled, placed, etc.  Since I am no longer
as strong as I once was, and Chet is even less so, this took a bit of
manoeuvering, but I managed it.  Doesn't sound like much, but it took
time.  Then there were the usual gardening chores, and a round of
trying a new spray for the deer.  Hope this one works.
Add to that, I have been finishing up the schedule for our October
flower show.  I usually like to have it done long before now, but events
have delayed me, and one of our members has challenged my theme.
After considering her complaints - she thinks titles in the Horticulture
Division must be related to horticulture, not the show theme.  After a
bit of consultation with "powers that be" I have just told her the job is
hers next year - this is my schedule and I'm sticking to it.  After all, I
have written at least ten award-winning schedules to her one.
None of this seemed really important enough to report on, but you
did ask...
In a message dated 08/11/2007 6:30:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,