From: james singer
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Wednesday, August 13,
2008 6:56:14 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] succulents

I think you overstate your
case, David. The pink mealybug is only a
pest of consequence on hibiscus.
And I think we can agree that while
hibiscus is a nice plant, it's really a
trivial crop. And the biggest
problem with the glassy wing sharpshooter
seems to be that it poops on
automobiles and causes an unsightly mess. These
two scourges may
excite the chemists at Monsanto, but I fail to see why they
have any
significance at all.

On Aug 13, 2008, at 4:12 PM, David Franzman

> Hi Jim
> Your good point brings up another aspect of plant
buying/selling/trading and that is that for many species of plants
> among them) it's illegal to trade across national/state borders
> without
> licenses.  Uninspected material crossing zones and regions can
spread disease
> and pests that can spread to other plants with no natural
> Daves
> Garden and other sites unwittingly facilitate this
trafficking.  The
> Pink
> Mealy Bug in Florida and the Glassy Wing
Sharpshooter in California
> are two
> such pests that have devastated
millions in crops in the last few
> years.
> Worse yet are the viruses and
bacteria that are unseen that gets
> shipped to
> unsuspecting recipients.
If you suspect a problem with a plant you
> receive
> burn it without
> Man, am I a bummer.  Now then Andrea?  I think I
> promised you a
bromeliad.  They are looking really good!
> David

Never attribute to
cleverness what can easily be explained by stupidity.
message text