Re: just checking

  • Subject: Re: just checking
  • From: Patricia Dickson <pdickson@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 14:54:09 -0700 (PDT)

Have any of you tried 'Wickles Pickles'?   Wonderful spicey pickles!

Sent from my iPhone Patricia Dickson

On Aug 16, 2009, at 4:13 PM, james singer <inlandjim1@q.com> wrote:

Here's a recipe I used in the early 80s at the farm. It's from Marion
Brown's "Pickles and Preserves" (1955), which was cobbled together from
her newspaper columns. This recipe was submitted by a woman in Arkansas.

Arkansas Bread and Butter Pickles

4 quarts sliced cucumbers
4 quarts peeled and sliced onions
1/2 cup salt
2 cup vinegar
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons each mustard seed, celery seed, and turmeric

combine cucumbers, onions, and salt. Let stand for 2 hours. In a sauce
pan combine vinegar and remaining ingredients; heat to boiling point.
Drain vegetables and add them to boiling vinegar mixture. Boil for 5
minutes; pour into jars and seal. Makes about 8 pints.