Re: Summer hibernation?
  • Subject: Re: Summer hibernation?
  • From: james singer <inlandjim1@q.com>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 15:56:09 -0700

Have you ever dried onions? Quart jar will hold about 5 pounds of chopped, dried onions.

On Aug 18, 2010, at 8:10 AM, Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/ SCOSI wrote:

Pretty quiet - is it too hot for anyone to be gardening? It has been
over 100 for five or six days here.
I didn't do much last weekend myself. Saturday I started pulling out the onions. This year I grew a variety called Candy as well as Texas 1015. I
think the sweet onions needed more water than I was providing since a
lot of them split. I still have a lot of onions, I filled up the extra
fridge and then started looking for other preserving options.
I went for my usual Sunday morning hike too. While we were away at the
end of July a big fire went through that area which is not far from my
house. We had no cell service where we were so we were blissfully
ignorant. On the way home I listened to anxious voicemails from the
pet-sitter "I'm in my car on your street and I can see the flames at the
top of the hill...they haven't evacuated yet...I don't know what to do
about your sheep..." There's a couple miles of tract housing between us
and open space. I have always figured that if fire came up over those
hills the fire department would throw everything they could at it so it did not get into the tract houses, and so they did, but it got right up
to the backyards. They made fantastic efforts to save houses in the
hills so there was very little lost. But it's pretty ugly now where we
hike, I guess we will have to content ourselves with watching it grow
My pond, which is a galvanized stock tank, has developed a slow leak.
I've decided to get rid of it instead of replacing it, I have enjoyed
the pond but it does take time to keep nice. Just have to figure out
what to do with the goldfish.

Inland Jim
Willamette Valley