Re: Advice needed
  • Subject: Re: Advice needed
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 12:22:47 -0400

For years, I assisted with tagging specimens for our local and regional club
shows, and I was surprised at how few members knew the nomenclature. Some
entrants didn't know more than the common name of the plant, let alone how
to write it. I found that to be true with various schools that I attended or
taught. It was very frustrating to me as an instructor,  but I took great
comfort in the fact that they were willing to learn.

One thing that I did for several classes, both club and MG, was to make flash cards. That introduced an element of fun as well as repetition, and a little competition, too. It helped to do a short bit of taxonomy and ID between the first lecture and lunch. After they'd had their coffee, and a chance to chat, they were much more likely to pay attention than when it was after lunch. Small bites of information made them more likely to remember, too. When I did the class scheduling, I always tried to keep the last sessions very light, because I knew that most of them were running on information overload by then.

I'm curious. How many of the participants are young and how many are
retired? The younger ones seemed to be much more distracted, especially in
the afternoon when they were worrying about finishing in time to get home to
take kids to soccer practice or whatever. It was gratifying to me that they
showed up at all, since for several years, all we had were older ladies, and
it seemed that the clubs (our own and many others) were going to go under
after so many decades. I've been inactive for several years, taking care of
my Dad, but I'm giving talks to several Atlanta area clubs in the coming
year, and am very curious about how their membership is distributed.