Re: Advice needed
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Advice needed
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 14:35:23 -0400 (EDT)

Daryl, the majority of our students are older, but we have a few bright
young things.  It's true that general club-membership seems to be
older and older.  More young women are working and just don't have
time for us. However these classes have attracted some who are not
working but whose children are old enough not to require constant
attention.  We occasionally have someone who is not even a garden-
clubber, but just wants the information.  Once on Staten Island a
young fireman came because he was responsible for keeping up the
garden around his firehouse.

I know that the timing of the classes is important, and try to keep
that in mind with the scheduling, but partly I have to adjust to whatever
time schedule our speakers can fit into.  For instance one of our best
speakers on several topics comes from Long Island, so needs to be
scheduled in the late morning or early afternoon so she can avoid the
heaviest traffic. Both days of classes end with a point-scroring exam
for those taking the course for credit, but I try to schedule the point-
scoring practice session right after the speaker on the specimens
being judged.  I don't allow as many breaks as some schools just
because it is so hard to get people back together.  I do allow a full
hour for lunch, since there is a garden shop at Lasdon Park & Arboretum
where we hold the schools, and people like to walk down to it and
shop.

Thanks for your input. I'll keep the flash-card idea in mind.
APL

In a message dated 8/2/2011 12:26:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,