-----Original Message-----
From: Marge Talt [mailto:mtalt@hort.net]
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 7:27 PM
To: Theresa- yahoo; kmrsy@earthlink.net; Andrea H; Auralie; Bonnie
Morgan; cathy carpenter; Ceres; CrystalR; Daniel Roman; Daryl; David
Franzman; Donna; Evelyn Ford; Gene Bush; Jesse Rene; Jim Singer; Joe
Macari; Josh H; Libby; Lynda Young; LindaWY; Margaret Lauterbach;
Melody; Noreen; Pam E; Pat Laney; Patricia D; Richard T. Apking;
SallyAnn; Tony Veca; Wendy; Zemuly Sanders; Justcrabby Donna
Subject: Re: list down again and garden question in the meantime

>  Well- here we go again.  Poor Chris- he probably wants to just
scream and
run away about now.  -

This is rather incredible....sheesh!   Well, guess we passed our 100
message mark this afternoon.  Hope Sue was in office to see it and
start acting.  I just logged on for the first time since about noon
when I left the office on my rounds and could simply NOT believe the
subject line that start popping up.

  >Anyway-  here's my On Topic question (hmmm- I guess it doesn't
matter if
it is on or off topic, since this is off-list)  Has anyone ever
planted a
green mulch on their veggie or other garden to add nutrients to the
soil?  A
lot of site suggest clover for this- but aren't you jsut asking to
inundated by clover forever by doing this?  Since I work so hard to
weeds out of my garden, it seems counter-intuitive to plant something
that I
would ordinarily pull up.

  I once planted winter rye as a cover crop - not in my veggie garden
- but where I was going to plant grass.  Key to cover crops is that
you have GOT to turn them under while they are still just past
seedling size.  Do NOT allow them to mature or get a good root hold
in the soil.  Think cover crops are really only practical when you
have a good tiller or a plough...not something you want to do if you
are hand digging soil, I discovered.  Let me just say that, given the
circumstances I had, the experiment was not a success:-)

Clover may have been suggested because it is a legume that fixes
nitrogen in the soil.  It's used, I believe by farmers as a cover
crop.  I join the other voices in saying I would not put it in my
garden.  It's the devil and all to eradicate if you don't want it.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :