Re: chilling bulbs

I may be wrong here, as I've never tried to store bulbs in a home
fridge, but think I recall reading somewhere that this is not really
a good thing to do.  You'd be better off potting them up and putting
them in a place just about freezing or above for winter...or plunging
the pots outside (best thing to do).  Then, in spring, you can just
plant the pots out as a group of bulbs into their permanent home.
Most spring flowering bulbs are building roots all winter and start
growing long before they surface, so need the time to do this, which
is why they are planted in the fall.

I dug up a bunch of crocus in one of my wooden half barrels in early
Nov. and found they had new root growth about 2" long....just stuck
them back in the soil...but that goes to show what they're busy doing
underground when we think it's too cold to do anything.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :