RE: hum......

Hi Daryl, (and all)
I was taking pictures of leafs... as in both sides, along with stems.
(of course depending on what kinda plant it is)  My friend thought I
just needed one picture with the whole shootin' match... not enough
detail in my opinion. I personally have to see the leaf to figure it
out.

Of course if it is a woody type species... then I need other traits too.
Although my attempts at getting a so to speak bark / stem close up
didn't come out very good... any photographers want to share the secret?

Personally thought that taking pictures of dormant plants was a waste of
time... If the gardener cleans up, or in the case of zone5 with snow,
wind... never gonna need this. I think it is important to display what
they look like as the dormancy is breaking. We really clashed on this
one.

Thanks for reinforcing my thoughts :)

Donna

> Donna,
>
> I go by the first true leaves, and other characteristics like square
stems
> vs. round.
>
> Mostly, I just hope that the chipmunks haven't disturbed my seed
flats,
> and
> keep my fingers crossed that I don't dump the trays myself ;-).
>
> As for dormant plants, the square vs. round stems sorts out some, stem
and
> root color and scent sorts the others, and after that it's poke and
hope
> time again for me.
>
> If anyone else has a better way, I'd love to learn it.
>
> Daryl
>

> > What is the most important feature of a seedling plant to id it?
Also