Re: Deer

Actually, now that I think about it--$450 sounds like a lot of money, but an
elk is a big animal and delicious.  You'd pay way more than that if you went
out and bought a steer.  And if you went to the supermarket to buy an
equivalent amount of meat, you'd be looking at 4 or 5 times the amount you'd
pay for a steer on the hoof.  So depending on how much your friend spent on
transportation, etc. he probably came out pretty good on the cost per pound
of meat, plus he had that exhilarating experience of the great outdoors.

Next time you're in South Dakota, drop down into Wyoming for a visit--we're
right next door!

Linda

> When we went on vacation this past summer to S.Dakota, our biggest
disappointment (the only, actually) was not getting to see a bull elk...saw
plenty of females and young but no bulls!  Hopefully on our next trip there
we'll be more lucky.

> Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

> --Albert Einstein --- On Thu 12/12, Linda  wrote:From: Linda [mailto:
lja@direcway.com]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Wed, 11 Dec 2002
22:42:11 -0700Subject: Re: [CHAT] Deer> Linda:  One of our nursing
supervisors paid $450.00 for an elk license inWyoming to hunt with a friend
of his who lives out there...that's the costof one out of state elk license
that permits a hunter to take just one elk.Poor fellow, though, spent a week
hunting morning to night, before hefinally did get his elk...Expensive way
to go about getting food, I'd say.:-)  Melody, IA (Z 5/4)>Well, don't tell
him someone just gave us elk meat then!!  But you see whyhunting for meat
isn't for poor people.  Actually he got off prettycheap--if he'd had to hire
a guide or go to one of the ranches that havehunting camps, he could have
paid a lot more.  I think a lot of hunters gettheir enjoyment from the week
of roughing it in wild country more thananything else--getting the elk just
gives them an excuse to be out th!
>  ere.Don't know what in-state licenses are going for now, but it's a whole
lotless than an out-of-state license so his friend got his meals for a
lotless.  For myself, there is something really regal about an elk--I
couldn'tkill one.Linda in
To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with themessage text
UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT