Re: Deer

You didn't go far enough. In the mountains north of Boise, a farmer has permission from Fish & Game to feed elk. He takes people on horse-drawn sleighs to quite near the feeding grounds. One elk (he calls that one Elvis) has been coming back for several winters. He skipped one, and the fellow thought Elvis had been "harvested," but he was back the next year. A friend's father had had a stroke and was unable to speak, but he hung onto that story printed in the newspaper until his family got the idea he wanted to go on that ride. They took him, and I guess it was a thrill for all of them. I don't know how much the fellow charges, but it's fairly moderate. There may be 20 or 30 elk feeding or waiting for feed when they arrive. Passengers are warned against making noise or sudden moves. Wintertime in the Rockies. Margaret L

When we went on vacation this past summer to S.Dakota, our biggest disappointment (the only, actually) was not getting to see a bull elk...saw plenty of females and young but no bulls! Hopefully on our next trip there we'll be more lucky.

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)