Re: Deer

In a message dated 12/11/2002 10:11:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Cersgarden@aol.com writes:

> In a message dated 12/11/02 7:02:46 PM, mtalt@hort.net writes:
> << I think
> that controlled hunts, using only proven, experienced hunters are the
> way to do this. >>
> Marge, this doesn't do the job either.  We have this in our state and it
> remains a big, expensive problem.
>   Ceres

Either one would be welcome in our area.  In Westchester County, NY there is
NO hunting allowed, and sometimes it seems the deer outnumber the people.
Folks who lived in towns used to laugh at the complaints made by those of us
who lived out of town (real country doesn't exist here).  Now they are
walking down the streets of down-county towns.  My friends in Ardsley, who
claimed never to have seen one until a couple of years ago, now have deer in
their yards.  You should hear them scream!  They take it as a personal
I do know that there is some clandestine hunting with bows in the wooded
areas near us, but surely not enough to make any difference.  The mild
winters we have had lately haven't helped the problem, either.  Some people
build fences, but we live in a very unlevel, rocky, hilly spot that would be
almost impossible to fence.  We are just very selective about what we plant
where - between the deer and the rocky terrain there isn't much room for
conventional landscaping.   Auralie