Re: Deer/fishing

 re: deer leases--That's not hunting, that's entrapment!

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein --- On Thu 12/12,   wrote:From:  [mailto: TeichFlora@aol.com]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 15:04:08 ESTSubject: Re: [CHAT] Deer/fishingLinda, you are probably right, I have no clue since neither dh nor I hunt or discuss the practice much.    One thing that does annoy us, at least down in these parts is that everyone that hunts has a deer lease.  This is the middle class version of a private hunting area.  Since hunting is illegal on private or state property, and most, if not all of Texas is one or the other.....people that own land lease out parts to certain limited numbers of hunters for a yearly fee.  The hunters take turns going there year round and make sure that there is always ample supply of water and feed in the feed troughs,  to fatten the deer up and ensure that they come to/or stay on that property.  I personally don't see much difference between this practice and what you are portraying.......what difference does it make if the hunters feed the deer themselves or pay someone else to do it ....the result is the same.  To me there is no sport in that......these animals truly can't be considered wild, it's almost like shooting one's pet.Just my opinion!!Noreenzone 9Texas Gulf CoastIn a message dated 12/12/2002 11:51:45 AM Central Standard Time, lja@direcway.com writes:> > > I think these generalizations about hunters are more perception than fact.> The trophy hunters do tend to go for the largest buck they can find.  The> hunters for meat tend to go for a young animal for the most tender meat.> During hunting season the animals don't run in herds, so there generally is> not a string of animals to evaluate and pick the best.  A lot of hunting is> a combo of luck and skill, so the hunter takes what he is able to find and> get a good shot at that meets the requirements of the license.  I believe> that diseases are more a result of over-population in relation to habitat,> and sometimes stress caused by severe weather and lack of food.  In Wyoming,> disease is also attribut

ed to the introduction of exotic species of deer not> suited to the climate and habitat we have here.  Wyoming does not allow> exotic species, but neighboring states do, and the deer don't respect state> borders.> > The whole thing gets complicated too by part of hunting having become a big> business.  Those who can pay the price are taken onto private lands where a> number of questionable practices may be used to ensure the presence of> trophy animals. A hunter with little skill then can get a large animal and> go home with the bragging rights and bypass the learning process that> traditional hunters go through.  A guide takes the 'hunter' out to a place> where animals have been confined or lured, the paying guest takes his best> shot, then they go back to a gourmet meal and a whole lot of liquor in a> fancy bunkhouse.  And that's what money buys in the hunting world.  But> there are still the kind of hunters who feed their families with what they> can get, and that's a whole different story.> > Linda in Wyoming---------------------------------------------------------------------To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with themessage text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com