From: "Melody" <mhobertm@excite.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 1:42 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Deer

> Thanks for the invite, Linda;  this is probably the best part of this
community:  it is such a hospitable place...everyone for the most part, is
so welcoming to one another...I know people might find this hard to believe,
but I am a rather major introvert when it comes to my personal life and
don't count very many people as my friends...comes from having been a total
nerd/geek in high school I think and my absolute love of solitary activities
like reading, gardening, thinking...but suddenly, thanks to this list, I now
have friends all over the country...makes me feel like a social butterfly
for the first time in my life.  Thanks guys!

> Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

> --Albert Einstein --- On Thu 12/12, Linda  wrote:From: Linda [mailto:
lja@direcway.com]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Thu, 12 Dec 2002
10:45:16 -0700Subject: Re: [CHAT] DeerWell, let me know and we'll try to
arrange some western hospitality!!Linda----- Original Message -----From:
"Melody" To: Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 2:10 AMSubject: Re: [CHAT]
Deer> Linda:  We're really hoping to be going back to S. Dakota within the
nextyear or so and Wyoming is definitely on our list of places to
visit...wewere all so awed by the incredible majesty and beauty of that part
of thecountry and can't wait to see more.>>> Melody, IA (Z 5/4)>> "The most
beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious."> --Albert Einstein ---
On Thu 12/12, Linda  wrote:From: Linda [mailto:lja@direcway.com]To:
gardenchat@hort.netDate: Wed, 11 Dec 200223:57:19 -0700Subject: Re: [CHAT]
DeerActually, now that I think aboutit--$450 sounds like a lot of money, but
anelk is a big animal anddelicious.  You'd pa!
>  y way more than that if you wentout and bought a steer.And if you went to
the supermarket to buy anequivalent amount of meat, you'dbe looking at 4 or
5 times the amount you'dpay for a steer on the hoof.  Sodepending on how
much your friend spent ontransportation, etc. he probablycame out pretty
good on the cost per poundof meat, plus he had thatexhilarating experience
of the great outdoors.Next time you're in SouthDakota, drop down into
Wyoming for a visit--we'reright next door!Linda> Whenwe went on vacation
this past summer to S.Dakota, our biggestdisappointment(the only, actually)
was not getting to see a bull elk...sawplenty offemales and young but no
bulls!  Hopefully on our !>  next trip therewe'll be more lucky.>>> Melody,
IA (Z 5/4)>> "The mostbeautiful thing we can experience is the
mysterious."> --Albert Einstein ---On Thu 12/12, Linda  wrote:From: Linda
[mailto:lja@direcway.com]To:gardenchat@hort.netDate: Wed, 11 Dec
200222:42:11 -0700Subject: Re: [CHAT]Deer> Lind!
>  a:  One of our nursingsupervisors paid $450.00 for an elk licenseinWyo
>

> ming to hunt with a friendof his who lives out there...that's thecostof
one out of state elk licensethat permits a hunter to take just oneelk.Poor
fellow, though, spent a weekhunting morning to night, beforehefinally did
get his elk...Expensive wayto go about getting food, I'dsay.:-)  Melody, IA
(Z 5/4)>Well, don't tellhim someone just gave us elkmeat then!!  But you see
whyhunting for meatisn't for poor people.  Actuallyhe got off
prettycheap--if he'd had to hirea guide or go to one of theranches that
havehunting camps, he could havepaid a lot more.  I think a lotof hunters
gettheir enjoyment from the!>   weekof roughing it in wild country more
thananything else--getting th>>>> e elk justgives them an excuse to be out
th!>  ere.Don't know whatin-state licenses are going for now, but it's a
wholelotless than anout-of-state license so his friend got his meals for
alotless.  For myself,there is something really regal about an
elk--Icouldn'tkill one.LindainWyoming--------------!
--------------To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with
themessagetext UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT>>