Re: Peony question

Heh, heh, Noreen, it's my nefarious method of getting everybody on as
many lists as I'm on:-)

Well, it appears that there are peonies who are not hardy even in z.
8 or 9 (I was surprised to learn this, actually) and those are the
ones that really need trialing in your climate.  The ones we all know
are mostly only suited to climates with enough cold to vernalize
them...they are very hardy and do better in the north than even where
I am.

Would be interested in what you find out.  Seems from those posts I
saved that the warm climate peonies have just not been tested and
hybridized enough and if they were, it's very likely that a whole new
line of warm winter peonies could be developed..

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: TeichFlora@aol.com
>
> OUCH Marge, not another list to add, I'll never get off the pc.
LOL  (just
> teasing)
>
> No, actually Marge, I never got into the Peony trials.  Since the
testing
> didn't work well in zone 8b I definitely knew it would not work for
me, since
> the rest of Houston is considered zone 9 already and I live in a
warmer
> climate than most of Houston.   I do recall that most of the trials
were done
> with the tree peonies, since they were said to be more tolerant of
heat, and
> new "warm climate" varieties.   I truly have no idea any specifics
of what
> was tested.
>
> I really have no clue either what type of climate conditions
peonies need
> except that they need a fairly cold period. As far as humidity,
most of Texas
> is dry (low humidity and low rainfall), except the  far east.   My
county
> (Fort Bend) has never gotten any Peonies to test, we seem to get
more of the
> tropical type plants and fruit, etc. to test.  Could well be that
Harris