Re: Amaryllis?? to Haemanthus albiflos

You're right, Marge, but some countries have no governmental apparatus to issue phytosanitary certificates. Since Mexico doesn't have, I presume Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, etc. don't either. DH formerly taught (theatre arts) at an ag-dominated university, and there were many Ph.D. candidates there from Brazil. They may be sufficiently sophisticated to have phytosan capabilities. I'm still tempted to plant beans out of a supermarket bag that came from South America and say neener neener. Margaret L

Margaret, I think that agricultural seed suppliers are set up to
provide the necessary paperwork..the big houses anyway...it's the
small growers, plant hunters, exchanges and individuals for whom this
enforcement of the phyto law poses problems.

I also think that there is probably a certificate or permit process
for the importation of all food items, with or without seeds.  Again,
large importers are set up to deal with this paperwork and we pay the
cost in the cost of the item and just don't know it.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :