From: Marge Talt
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: 12/18/2002 3:50 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Deer hunts

Also most interesting, Melody.  It would seem to me, that if the goal
is reduced population, then an extension of the season makes sense.
I'm not sure why deer hunting has always been a fall activity, unless
it started back before refrigeration and the cold weather was needed
to keep the meat from spoiling.

I can understand the reluctance to permit even controlled hunts in
highly populated areas...all it takes is one kid getting shot to
create havoc.

If controlled hunts are not the answer, I wonder just what is...and
this is a problem that needs a resolution, not only for our own
personal gardens, but for the health of the remaining deer herds and
the continuance of our woodlands, whose survival is going to depend
on reducing the deer depredations.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade