Re: Deer/people as germs

Well, David, I have always operated on the principle that wildlife
has as much, if not more right to live on my land and this planet as
I do; that it is my responsibility to come up with creative ways to
get around whatever destructive proclivities they have...and fencing
out the deer is my solution.  I agree with Claire, the only way to
keep a garden in deer territory is fence them out - and like Claire,
deer are free to roam the rest of my woodland; just NOT inside the

I don't regard it as an either/or issue. You can value wildlife and
value your garden at the same time and to the same degree and still
not want the wildlife to ruin the garden.  I see no contradiction

Of course the problem is that the balance is out of wack...that's the
problem with humans vs nature all over the world, but most
particularly in the suburban/urban areas.  Well, I'm not even sure we
can limit it to that because farming, by its very nature, is an
unnatural activity which causes imbalance in the native ecosystem.
Actually, it seems that ALL human activity results in
imbalance...hmmm...that says something about us humans, doesn't it?

I'd almost take your rats....well, almost:-)  We actually have a
family of rural rats that I don't really mind; they're quite handsome

The issue is, really, how to solve with the problem that we have
created...it is a problem, not only for human gardens, but for the
rest of the wildlife in our woods whose habitat is disappearing -
along with the wildflowers.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: David Franzman <dfranzma@pacbell.net>
> I think I need to clarify my position before I'm accosted by Ceres
and Marge
> and apparently a new member (Claire!  Welcome Claire!)
> I agree with both Linda and Libby.  The problem is not too many
deer it's too
> little habitat and not enough predators.  The balance is out of
whack.  There
> are too many people who want to live the rural life and have their
> too.  I have to confess I am one of these.  Hopefully within the
next ten
> years I'll be a distant neighbor of Linda's.  If there were a
benevolent, all
> knowing leader we should all live in mega-highrises right in the
middle of
> metro areas within walking distance to our jobs, stores, schools
etc.  That
> way we could leave the rest of the world to operate as it
should...in the
> state of nature.  Do I want to live that way?  No!  But I never
claimed to be
> an exception to anything.
> My point in this was for those who choose a rural life to then
complain about
> the wildlife seems kinda funny to me.  I realize that the
population of the
> deer is exploding but that's because so many of us want to live in
> areas AND not want to worry about wolves stalking them.  If this
seems like
> I'm talking in circles it is because I am and as Linda Ellerby used
to say
> "And so it goes!"  (Side note:  I know so many stories of people
who move to
> places like Alaska and then complain and shoot the bears, wolves
and other
> predators because they are afraid of them as perhaps they should
be.  I hate
> that.)
> Note to Claire:  As much as I hate to say this to a new member but
> your garden isn't more important to me as the wildlife that inhabit
> area.  Believe me my garden is very important to me as well but a
> environment is far more important as far as I'm concerned.
> This is a little morbid for a gardening chat group but I've heard
many folks
> describe the human species as a germ.  A germ that kills everything
in it's
> wake as it slowly spreads and increase exponentially until
ultimately it
> kills it's host...the planet.  I'm reminded of that analogy
whenever topics
> like this come up.
> Marge, Ceres you know I don't mean anything derogatory when I write
> stuff.  I understand your problem.  However, Marge I would be
willing to
> trade you a dozen whitetails for a like number of urban rats which
seem to be
> multiplying in these parts as of late.
> I just thought of a bumper sticker:  Save the native
wildflowers...take down