RE: Yahoo! Briefcase: kmrsy's file(s)

Melody,
Yes, I built the timberwalk myself; it wasn't really hard.  I had the timbers
delivered precut to 4 foot lengths. In the picture you can see the layers.
killed grass, landscape fabric, stone, timbers.  The stone was for 2 reasons:
drainage because that side of the house had a tendency to be wet and I planned
to raise the soil level on both sides so the walk had to be higher.

My lot is 60 feet wide and the house takes 40 ft of that, so 10 ft left on
each side.  Not a lot you can do with 10 ft except mow it, so I just got rid
of the grass and did this.  I need the 4 ft width to move things to and from
the front and back yards.

I've had women say, "Oh, I wish I could get my husband to build me a walk like
that."  I tell 'em there's no reason you can't do it yourself.  It took the
above mentioned materials, a level, basic hand tools, and one pair of leather
gloves I ruined by packing the stone solid under the timbers as I went along.
The only tricky part was the curve for which I use a miter saw to cut the
angled timbers.  And I have to confess, in case you hadn't already guessed, I
had someone make the arbor for me - but I installed it.

With the soil packed tightly against it on either side and each timber snugged
up to the next one, it hasn't moved since 1995.  Drawbacks: wood is a bit
slippery when wet, and, as mentioned before, flat boards would be more
comfortable to walk on, but more expensive.  Because of the curved edges of
the timbers, debris eventually sifts down between the cracks - just barely
enough for a Linaria or hesperis seed to get a grip.  I let them grow until
April, lift the timber and take out a nice, intact root system, pot it up, and
put it in my sale.  Weed seeds are easily dispatched.

Because of my limited resources, I had to use the timbers, you might prefer
flat boards.  But I'm happy with the way it is.

Kitty
PS - glad the orchid arrived ok, I swaddled it against the cold as best I
could.