Re: Need some advice

 Jim:  Talked with the chair of our steering committee for MG's and she didn't think this would present any kind of problem, given it will be a garden that will be openly shared with the community.  Also, there is a clause in our bylaws that specifically includes projects for community beautification that includes churches and the like...You'd have to know our town to understand how meshed the community is in all it's various aspects...the church, the school, the community center, the nursing home, the firestation, the city council, the bank, etc...we are so small that everyone is involved in multiple aspects of the community so we all kind of work together to get everything done and to be as much to one another as we can be...It's very lovely living in a place like this.  :-)

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein --- On Fri 12/20, jim singer  wrote:From: jim singer [mailto: jsinger@igc.org]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:49:57 -0500Subject: Re: [CHAT] Need some advicedon't know that you can convince them, melody. looks like a church-state issue to me, and i think the extension service might be very charry about any kind of formal relationship.At 07:15 AM 12/20/02 -0500, you wrote:>Dear friends:  As you might know, I am in the middle of conceptualizing >and planning a new garden for our church/community which revolves around >the praying of the Rosary and contemplative prayer/meditation.  Late in >January I am going to be meeting with our Church's Parish Committee to >talk more fully about this idea.  One of the things that I have been >thinking about trying to incorporate into this project is getting our >local Master Gardener's involved in this...it is way too big a project for >me to pull off by myself and I really need their expertise.  The problem >with this is that in our county, there are a couple of pet projects that >tend to get all of the attention...So my question for you guys is...how do >I convince the Steering  Committee of our County Master Gardener Program >that this would be something worthwhile for us to commit to.  Obviously, I >need to convince them of the value of this to our community and I have >given much thought to this...the fact that our !>  Church is a very open place, easily accessible would make this more of a > community garden than just something that belongs to the Church.  The > elderly who live in the nursing home just adjacent to the Church could > have a beautiful space, with a bed reserved for their use.  The children > at our local elementary school who currently have no school based garden > of their own, and many of whom are enrolled as students in our Catholic > education classes, could have a bed reserved for them as well.  Many more > ideas, too many to list, are going through my head.  Does anyone out > there think this sounds like a project t

hat would qualify for Master > Gardener volunteer hours?  If so, why do you think that--could you give > me examples of similar programs in your communities that > do?  Any  help/advice you could give is going to be greatly > appreciated...**all** comments, both pro and con, are eagerly > welcomed.  Thanks so much.>>Melody, IA (Z 5/4)>>"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.">--Albert Einstein>>_______________________________________________>Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com>The most personalized portal on the Web!>>--------------------------------------------------------------------->To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the>message text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHATjsinger@igc.org---------------------------------------------------------------------To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with themessage text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com