Re: Lawn substitutes

Be careful of henbit...in our area it is somewhat invasive...a member of
the mint family, gets 4-12 inches, blooms from March through summer...small
lavender flowers...will move into lawns and beds.  What about using a
variety of clover?  I found some did better than others in my clay
yard.  Also, have had luck with ajuga replens (although it will brown out
during periods of intensive heat).  One more suggestion...if your bald
spots are in good locations, can you add mulch and convert them to beds,
maybe expanding the area to incorporate several bald spots into one larger
bed.  I have been most successful in converting clay spots by digging in my
kitchen refuse mulch...usually get lots of earth worms soon and the soil
improves enough to support plants.  Good luck.

Bonnie 6+ ETN