Things to see, places to stay on Oahu

HI all-  I am going to Hawaii in a month for the  first time ever!  Yeah- we
finally are going to get a vacation.  Any suggestions of places to stay,
eat, or things to see/do?  We will be on Oahu- they conference I will be
attending for a couple days is in Waikiki- I've heard that it is nicer to
stay at a B&B on the Windward coast- but how far away is this and what is
traffic like ( I have to be at the conference by 8am).  We will have a
couple of other days just for fun- so we can stay anywhere on the island.

Thanks for any advice!