Re: Things to see, places to stay on Oahu

I lived on Oahu from 1980 - 1985, and have visited the Islands since, but I can't pretend to be totally up to date on places to stay. First, how long do you have? That is critical, because your first decision is whether you wish to see any of the other islands during your visit (Personally, Oahu is my least favorite, primarily because it is too "touristy", but for a first time visitor, there is lots to see and do.) For the present, I will limit myself to Oahu. Then, aside from gardening, what are your specific interests? Given that I don't know either, my advice: 1. Limit your time on Waikiki. This is definitely tourist central, and every thing will be over priced and less than authentic. 2. Oahu is not a big island - 30 miles in any direction will get you to ocean, but you have to factor in that it is the most populated in the chain and that equates to traffic. Also, like any metropolitan area, the dwellings closest to Honolulu are the most expensive, so most people live on what the windward side of the island and commute in. This means a major rush hour. 3. Gardens - Foster Botanical Gardens, Lyon Arboretum. 4. Museums - Bishop Museum (Hawaiian and Polynesian History), Honolulu Academy of Art (excellent Asian art collection). 5. History - Arizona Memorial, USS Bowfin (a WWII submarine which definitely increased my respect for submariners, and Battleship Missouri (both must sees as far as I'm concerned); US Army Museum of Hawaii (Located in a bunker on Waikiki, it is small, but easy to visit if you are there.); National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific (also known as Punchbowl Cemetary - so much more than just a National Cemetery); Iolani Palace (only royal palace in the US); Queen Emma Summer Palace (if you like historic houses). 6. Beaches - Haunama Bay (a state underwater park, great for snorkling, but do take care what you leave in your car); Shark's Cove (known mostly to locals, it is a great, protected small cove on the north shore, just past Pupukea Beach Park); 7. View - Nuuanu Pali Wayside (off Pali Hwy, a windy! overlook of the windward side of the island); Tantalus Drive (You'll need a map for this one - it winds behind the National Cemetery - but it is worth it.) 8. Other - State Capitol; Sea Life Park (if you've been to Sea World, you can probably skip it); Waimea Falls Park (privately owned, a bit touristy, but the falls are nice); Polynesian Cultural Center (on every tour operators offerings - run by Brigham Young University, whose students help finance their education by working there - think polynesian disneyland without the thrill rides).
Guess that is enough for now (I could go on, but....) if you have any questions I'll try to give them a shot.