Re: herbs > antibiotics

It's amazing what they can get away with isn't it?  Carrying the antibiotic
problem further is another pet peeve of mine, their use on livestock.  Two
of the worst situations of which I'm aware are their use on veal calves and
pregnant mares used for premarin manufacture.  These animals have no life
at all, kept it narrow stalls.  The calves with no sunshine and fed such a
poor diet because it makes the meat tastier.  The mares kept pregnant and
pumped full of water so they'll urinate more.  All this is hard on their
legs, etc, so they're fed antibiotics.  This must end up in the calve's
meat wouldn't you think?  And as to the horses, the French end up eating
the meat or maybe your pet.

But the worst offender along this line are dairy farmers.  I've never
understood the reasoning.  Go back a few years and dairy farmers in
Wisconsin were dumping their milk to push the price higher.  Now they have
fewer cows and feed them BGH to make them produce 2 or 3 times the milk
they normally would.  The extra weight on thier legs and the pressures of
full udders requires them to be fed antibiotics.  And don't you think that
goes into the milk?  Ben & Jerry lobbied long and hard against this to no

So now you say they're being sprayed on crops.  I have a tough time
grasping how such wanton abuse of antibiotics is justified.