From: "Melody" <mhobertm@excite.com>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] what are you reading?
Date: Thu,  4 Dec 2003 06:47:34 -0500 (EST)

Reading is something so basic to my life that I fear for my sanity
should I ever lose my sight...it seems to me that no one ever had to
really show me how to read...I distinctly remember picking up the Dick
and Jane books in first grade and somehow what was on those pages just
made sense to me...one of the truly memorable moments of my life was
getting my first library card at the public library a few weeks later. I
will never forget the intense feeling of awe and sheer joy that card
gave me...literally a passport out of the hell my childhood was into as
many worlds of magic as I could read...by middle of first grade I had
been moved into the third grade reading classes, by the time I hit 7th
grade they no longer had enough for me to read and so put me in an
independent study program...it was great since it meant I had access to
any book in the public library system I wanted to read. Finished most of
the "classics" long before I hit high school...so it seems strange to me
that these days most of my reading consists of the trashiest romance
novels I can find...the more lurid sex the better! :-) But truth be
told, I'll read just about anything I can lay my hands on...I love
murder mysteries, anything to do with serial killers, science fiction,
romance, classics, etc...I guess I'm just an indiscriminate reader. A
couple of years ago, one of our local thrift stores went out of business
and the owner gave away all of the paperbacks in the store...in one
hour, I carried out over 500 romance novels...took me less than a year
and a half to read them all...truly wish I'd had time to make a second
stop before she closed her store for good. Right now I'm reading Thomas
Gifford's The Assassini, a murder mystery that concerns the Catholic

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein