Re: Rainfall Map

Rain map is an interesting idea. Do they really mean "rainfall [what is sleet, my sweet?]" or do they mean precipitation? I'm sure the amount of precipitation an area receives is an important factor in plant adaptability and/or hardiness. But I'm not sure what I know when I know it. Kitty's home away from home, Barrow, Alaska, probably gets as much precip as I get--I just get 90 percent of mine when the temps are in the 80s, below the high point on the heat zone and above the average [maybe, actually, median] point on USDA.

If you take the volume of precip out of the equation, and leave only the frequency and the temps, Theresa's environment would be nearly the opposite of mine. Yet we have more growing experiences in common than I have with most of you and, perhaps, than she has with many of you.

What makes the Sunset zones so accurate for the three Pacific coast states, Kitty, is that they are not based on gross data collected from weather stations [as are all the other "zone maps" I know of], but on Sunset Magazine's plea in the 1920s to its readers to keep track of their own weather and gardening experiences and share that data with the magazine.