Re: snow

In a message dated 12/12/2003 9:20:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
holmesbm@usit.net writes:

> When we were first married and living in Orangeburg, SC, we got a
> freeze...the water in the toilet froze...landlord said the temperature was
> unusual and it would thaw out in a couple of days...

You were fortunate that it didn't break.  In the winter of 1950 or '51 -
can't remember which - the temperature in Pensacola, Florida dropped to 12
degrees.  All the fixtures in my rented apartment froze - the faucets were sitting
about an inch out from the attachment on little cylinders of ice.  The plumbing
in the kitchen ran under the floor from the sink to the water heater on the
other side of the room.  Not only did the water heater freeze and crack, the
pipes under the floor split so that when it thawed the entire floor was flooded.
What a mess!  At least my landlord, who was a retired pipefitter, took care
of it all pretty quickly.