Re: Speaking of presents

In a message dated 12/25/03 8:03:34 PM, justme@prairieinet.net writes:

<< Hum....
anyone ever grown one without soil and just let the roots be in water? >>

Donna, I have very often forced them this way.  I presently have paper whites
in a crystal stem which is about 8" dia x 1' tall.  These are placed on top
of washed pea gravel and water added but not enough to reach the bulbs.  This
is basically the same.  I usually place paper whites in small crystal bowls
filled with pea gravel.  Last year I did (3) for a center piece for a dinner
group.
    I recd a gift of Iris reticulata and a small container.  I have never
forced this before.
        Ceres