From: Andrea H [mailto: hodgesaa@earthlink.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 20:00:06 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Bittersweet now hort ed

Now that's teaching. Kids love to learn by such hands on experience. And
to<br>actually see their plants take off and grow always excites them
(unless<br>they're completely antisocial of course) LOL!<br>Andrea
"james singer" <jsinger@igc.org><br>To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent:
Monday, December 06, 2004 7:59 PM<br>Subject: Re: [CHAT] Bittersweet now
Los Angeles, Auralie.<br>> Horticulture, botany, agriculture were major
parts of our educational<br>> curricula. All of the classrooms in my
grammar school [aka elementary<br>> school] had large garden plot where
we grew vegetables and experimented<br>> with propagation--seeds,
cuttings, grafting, air and ground layering,<br>> and so on. Luther
Burbank was a major California icon, and most folks<br>> were dirt poor
[many of them Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath" Okies], so<br>> the schools
tried to educate the parents about peculiarities of growing<br>>
2004, at 07:32 PM, Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:<br>><br>> > Andrea, there
are garden clubs and garden clubs. Some are nice<br>> > and thoughtful,
and some are just the opposite. On the whole I have<br>> > found them to
be really good people, but its the few rotten apples<br>> > that spoil
things for everyone - just like any other group. This<br>> > business of
ignorance about horticulture is one I work at all<br>> > the time. In
the Horticulture School series I run I always include<br>> > one session
on basic botany - and am always amazed at the<br>> > complete ignorance
of some people. Where were they in<br>> > high school? I once said one
of the courses was just high-school<br>> > biology, and several declared
they had never had biology in<br>> > high school. I couldn't believe it.
If I was taught botany in a very<br>> > small-town school in the rural
South in the 40s, I wonder what<br>> > they were teaching i

n the next few decades in the supposedly<br>> > more sophisticated
6:57:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,<br>> > hodgesaa@earthlink.net
writes:<br>> > Hmmm, guess I never thought of that issue. I have to say,
I gave a<br>> > presentation at a garden club meeting a couple of weeks
ago and was<br>> > truly<br>> > amazed at how many plants they were NOT
familiar with. That and the<br>> > fact<br>> > that I busted my butt
getting out there in the middle of the work day<br>> > and<br>> > they
kept me waiting for 30 minutes while they ate tea cakes and drank<br>> >
cider. I wanted to explode. You told me to be here at 10:00 AM, so
WHY<br>> > am I<br>> > standing around until 10:30? I was not

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com