To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 10:32 AM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Fwd: Squirrels

That's the problem you know, I guess it's like the problem you easterners
have with deer. I do not want to harm these guys but I would rather have
them eating rabbits and ground squirrels out where there's still desert.
However if I supply a chicken buffet, of course they'll go where life is
easier. My recourse is to make it harder for them and hope they decide to
migrate out to the remaining open spaces...which probably already have an
existing population of critters; or maybe they'll patronize someone else.
I like my house and my neighborhood, and we've put a lot of work into it
all; but I find that as the area becomes more crowded that our neighborhood
is getting more and more upscale because of our 2 1/2 acre lots. Good for
property values but not many of the new move-ins are bringing along horses
or other livestock so I am a little worried we are going to have problems in
the future, what if Mr & Mrs Smith with their new 8000 sq ft house decides
they don't want to hear roosters crowing or sheep bellowing for their
breakfast.
Speaking of new neighbors someone bought a vacant lot down the street from
us and moved in a bunch of palm trees over the summer. No sign of home
building but there are enormous palms dotted all over. I am not conversant
on prices for this sort of thing but they had to bring in a crane to plant
them so I'm speculating 10 grand per tree. These are really huge trees, with
multiple trunks and all. Not to mention that these are palms I have never
seen growing locally so I'm interested to see if they'll live. One of them
has already died and been replaced. I can't figure it out.

Cyndi