Re: Are you ready for the big day?

Well- this past weekend was Xmas for us. Tree decorated, house decorated, presents wrapped, those needing to be sent mailed long ago. Inlaws over yesterday and we ate (roast chicken, rosemary potatos, spinach/cranberry/pecan salad, topical fruit salad, apple pie for dessert). Opened presents- some we'll keep others... who knows what to do with them. Overall was very nice, despite really nasty weather outside. Today- caught up at work. Will actually finish everything tomorrow that needs to be done before we take off for Texas. Seems to be catching a head cold- just in time to get on an airplane in a few days. Oh well- it's that time of year. Took some Airborne and tylenol. Hopefully it'll just go away.
Still keeping my fingers crossed that the sale of my father's house finalizes before the end of the year (this is taking forever!) Maybe in the next few days?....

Happy Holidays all-

Theresa

Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:

Tree is bought but not decorated - we always do that on the 22nd - the
anniversary of our engagement in 1949. Our first son was born on our
first wedding anniversary, so we couldn't really celebrate that - it had to
be a birthday party.

No real frills any more. Wreath up on the front door, but I don't make the
huge wreaths for the front windows any more. My small club decorates
the manor house at Lasdon Park & Arboretum, so I work off my impulses
there.

I have been making candy and cookies for a couple of weeks. I used to
be the "cookie queen" of Westchester county, but nowadays, I just make
one kind of butterscotch bars and one kind of candy. Everyone expects'
those from me. I have a guilt complex about these things - have quit
making the other goodies that aren't good for folks like chicken-liver pate,
but people do expect these.

Not much shopping any more, and most of it on-line. We send gift certificates or checks to most of the grandchildren and DILs. Since we
see them so seldom, don't really know what they like or want. I don't
like this - used to get a real thrill out of shopping for everyone - but
that seems the best thing to do. No point in giving things that teenagers
or DILs don't want. I still know what to give my sons, mostly. This year
I have given a couple of them items from the house - things I know they
enjoyed when they were children, and I would hate to see sold in a tag
sale when we're gone.

All the gifts that go away were wrapped and sent. A couple of things
that I ordered for DH have not come yet, though they are said to have
been sent. Why does gift wrapping give me such a backache these
days? I used to enjoy it.

I was thinking things were pretty well under control, but DH has come
down with a juicy head-cold, and is being very tottery - having trouble
walking. I'm anxious, but hopeful that tomorrow will be better.

Anyway, best wishes for the season to all.
Auralie