Re: New plant

Thanks, Kitty, but I've always thought of it as a curiosity about what other people preserve by, first, propagation and, second, culture or maintenance. One of my favorite nurseries is the Two Star Nursery in Bowling Green, Florida. Putting the somewhat self-deprecating name aside, the nursery is a collection of plants entirely propagated by the owners [a pair of octogenarians] and only of plants they like. As a consequence, one has to triage benches of potted--often weedy--cuttings [identified only by common name] of various ages and conditions and make judgments about what the plants really are and whether they show promise.

There are lots of nurseries like Two Star, And there are lots of so-called better nurseries with back bench areas like that. Often what you will find are plants that were once popular but are no longer chi-chi.

On Dec 23, 2005, at 5:43 PM, Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center wrote:

JIm, you have a real knack for finding the good stuff. $4 - what a deal!

Kitty

----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, December 23, 2005 2:31 PM
Subject: [CHAT] New plant

Local mom and pop nursery is going out of business after 40+ years.
Property, which is on the main drag, has become so valuable that they
can sell it and retire. I went by there today. They say they're taking
their time about clearances because the property sale isn't final yet,
but a new sign announces "30 percent off all cactus and succulents."

Like a lot of mom and pop nurseries, they have almost-hobby stuff they
and their staff have grown from cuttings mingled in with stuff they
have bought in. So it's a real hodge-podge. Anyway, on a back bench in
an out-of-the-way area, I found a number of 1-gallon Solandra plants--I
don't know which Solandra, there are several species in the trade--all
primed to bloom. So I bought one with three flower buds; $4.00. The
buds should open about the time Ms. Fatma returns from her trek around
the Massachusetts tundra.

Don't know if you're familiar with the Solandras, but they are
variously called "Cup of Gold" vine and "Chalice" vine. They have
large, coffee mug size and shape [sans handle], goldish yellow flowers.
They're vines the way bougainvilleas or climbing roses are vines--high
maintenance because they're only marginally capable of climbing without
assistance.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W