From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of David Franzman
Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2005 7:17 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] flood

Well that was ugly!  This whole county looks like a huge lake.  I just had
3' of water rush through my greenhouses again.  The force was so great that
the driveway which I just put down weed tarp and 4" or gravel has been
scraped clean...weed tarp not to be seen.  The doors to my greenhouses have
been smashed in by floating debris.  I have 6x6s, tool cabinets, 50 gallon
drums (full), sheets of plywood and other debris right now up against the
gh's.  The 6x6's battered down the doors.  We have them going in front of
the gh to keep other stuff out.  We are leaving all of it until tomorrow and

it will act as a barrier to any more floating stuff when the next storm hits

tomorrow.  In addition to that we have layers of mud on the ground inside.
Behind the gh's is, as I mentioned, a raging torrent of a very small creek.
It's only about 10' across normally but right now it must be going about 30
mph.  Of course you wouldn't be able to see a difference where the creek is
except the speed of the flow.  Unfortunately I forgot to bring a camera but
tomorrow I will.  I expect that most of the water will have receded already
but it'll show the debris piles.

All of the plants are fine.  This year we were prepared and everything is on

tables that exceed the height of the water.  Again there was some structural

damage to the houses but it could have been a lot worse.  The larger
houses's plastic is still intact.  I can't close any doors right now because

of the force of the water and flotsam that is in the doorways.  As I left
the property the water was just below my knees.  You could boogey board if
you had one.  It has never been this high say the folks who live here and
have been here for over 20 years.  9" of rain within 36 hours on top of the
12" in the last two weeks.

The poor folks who live here came within an inch of water coursing their
their homes.  One of which was just completely remodeled with wood floors.
Their horses had water up to their bellies in the fields at 3 this morning.
There were drowning chickens, and sheep that had to be moved and I sincerely

hope this has taken care of my rat problem.  Where poison didn't work
perhaps the wrath of God did.

As far as my house is concerned we had rivelets of water going through our
garage which I've never seen before.  We were out at 2am trying to dam the
water and divert it to no avail.  Nothing major though.

I should add by the way that neither my gh's or home is in a flood plain.
This is just what happens when you get the amount of rain we have had in two

weeks.  Those areas that are in a flood plain...such as Guernville are under

water with the water still rising.  They will be 14' above flood stage by
this evening.  Below is a link to an MSNBC news article about it.  Check out

the photo that's about what it looks like on my property.