RE: Fires and Floods

As many of you know, I live on the water, Long Island Sound.  Luckily, I'm
in a protected harbor. I never imagined that I would live on the water, but
my parents retired to beach front property with a building lot.  In the
early 1980's when the housing market went crazy, my little house that I
bought when I was single was worth a lot of money.  We sold it and used the
money to pay my parents for the lot. Fortunately, they let my husband build
our house over the course of a year before we had to buy the property.

Anyway, it is so beautiful here!  The shore birds and sailboats, sunsets and
sea breezes.... it's like paradise!  We are in a flood area, but we had to
build our house 12' above mean high water. Also, we have a fairly wide sand
bar in the harbor that takes some of the force of the waves. We have had
only one case of serious flooding since we've lived here (21 years). The
water covered the gardens, but was 3' below our ground floor. Other people
have had their houses washed through.

I guess we are taking a chance, but we are aware of what we may have to face
if there ever is a really bad storm.  I dread the word "nor'easter"!

I think calamity can strike just about anywhere, but some places are more
prone to disasters then others.

Chris Petersen
Northport, Long Island, New York
 Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)