hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
New Trillium species discovered

Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

RSS story archive

RE: Man, did I do...

I fried my bay tree last year - it's potted and I move it into the
greenhouse every winter - anyway it got seriously hot in there towards
the beginning of spring and then I forgot to water. 4 ft tall and the
thing was just sticks and crunchy leaves when I found it. Maybe two
leaves at the bottom were still alive. I watered the heck out of it and
kept trimming down the obviously dead parts, in about 3 weeks it had new
growth everywhere, it lost maybe six to ten inches off every branch but
it lived. Your jasmine will probably do the same. 


-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 9:26 AM
To: Garden Chat
Subject: [CHAT] Man, did I do...

a dumb thing....

Every month when the Social Security check coasts in, I buy two 40-pound
bags of salt chunks for the water softener. It's a ritual

I have one of those Rubbermaid garden carts--not sure how to describe
it, but I'm sure you've seen them. Shaped kind of like the bucket on a
backhoe. Normally, I unload the bags of salt from the back of my truck
into the cart, then wheel them around the house to the water softener.

Two months ago, I got the bags of salt as far as the cart just as it
started to rain. So I dragged the cart up the driveway to the garage and
parked it under the eaves. The storm was quite fierce and windy; even
though the cart was more-or-less protected, it nearly filled with water.

And one of the bags of salt leaked. So the cart was soon filled with an
ultra-saline solution. And, because the cart is not water-tight, the
solution leaked out and ran down the driveway--which is concrete--and
ran off at the base of a large orange jasmine tree.

Within a few days, it was obvious that the jasmine was in trouble. the
front patio was covered by a blizzard of dead leaves, and leaving the
tree little more than a bunch of upright sticks. So in something of a
panic, I put a hose at the base of the jasmine and turned it on,
thinking I might be able flush the salt out. The water from the hose
bypasses the softener, so it wasn't coals to Newcastle. I let it run for
3 or 4 days.

Periodically since then, I've run the water at the base of the tree for
a few hours at a time.

Today I noticed new leaves on the sticks. I don't know if this signals
recovery or death throe. Interesting thing is that planted next to the
jasmine are a gardenia and a coontie--and neither seem fazed by the
heavy dose of salt.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10
Heat Zone 10
Minimum 30 F [-1 C]
Maximum 100 F [38 C]

To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the message

To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the

Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index

 © 1995-2017 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement