Re: crazy season

Sounds pretty much like here.  Box stores and nurseries full of  "winter
annual color" plants.  Wondering why do you say that  pansies are inappropriate,
Jim????  They do well here in  winter, provided it's a cooler one. Other than
those mentioned, lots  of Cyclamen are seen here too.....an all time favorite
"winter annual color"  plant for many.  I personally don' t plant winter
annuals, and  very few summer annuals.  I do like Dianthus because they last through
 till the hottest part of the summer usually.
Blooming now, here,  are all the Cattleya orchids and Billbergia  bromeliads.
 Very nice display.  I brought in the blooming orchids  during the "winter
cold snap", but we never did get a freeze, so could have left  things alone. Was
nice to enjoy them inside though.....today I took them out  because we got
some much needed rain.  Supposed to rain for the next couple  days, then nice
for Christmas.  Temps in the upper 70's.  Salvias are  still blooming, as is
Sophora tomentosa, Asclepias, Hibiscus,  Bougainvillas.   Brugmansias were
blooming beautiful, but they didn't  like that last cold snap, dropped all the
blooms.  Phillipine Violets are  still going strong with blooms.  Lots of the
Rhipsalis and Cestrum are  blooming as well.
Got to eat my first homegrown Texas Ruby Red Grapefruit the other
day....yum!!   Hope next year we have more than just a couple.   No blood oranges this
year though....unfortunately.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 12/17/2006 11:02:22 PM Central Standard Time,