From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of TeichFlora@aol.com
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 5:12 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] crazy season

Sounds pretty much like here.  Box stores and nurseries full of  "winter
annual color" plants.  Wondering why do you say that  pansies are
inappropriate, Jim????  They do well here in  winter, provided it's a
cooler one. Other than those mentioned, lots  of Cyclamen are seen here
too.....an all time favorite "winter annual color"  plant for many.  I
personally don' t plant winter annuals, and  very few summer annuals.  I
do like Dianthus because they last through  till the hottest part of the
summer usually.

Blooming now, here,  are all the Cattleya orchids and Billbergia
bromeliads.
 Very nice display.  I brought in the blooming orchids  during the
"winter cold snap", but we never did get a freeze, so could have left
things alone. Was nice to enjoy them inside though.....today I took them
out  because we got some much needed rain.  Supposed to rain for the
next couple  days, then nice for Christmas.  Temps in the upper 70's.
Salvias are  still blooming, as is
Sophora tomentosa, Asclepias, Hibiscus,  Bougainvillas.   Brugmansias
were
blooming beautiful, but they didn't  like that last cold snap, dropped
all the blooms.  Phillipine Violets are  still going strong with blooms.
Lots of the Rhipsalis and Cestrum are  blooming as well.

Got to eat my first homegrown Texas Ruby Red Grapefruit the other
day....yum!!   Hope next year we have more than just a couple.   No
blood oranges this
year though....unfortunately.
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 12/17/2006 11:02:22 PM Central Standard Time,