Re: Winter is here

In a message dated 12/02/2007 11:55:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gossiper@sbcglobal.net writes:

well fall will be back tomorrow if you are on the same wind current as I am.
Today it is close to 50, last night it was cold and freezing rain... geesh.
I was dreading having to go to my mothers house this morning, which is only 30
ft door to door.  Last night, the 3/4 inch of glass ice made it impossible to
get up the slight incline into her door, although it isn't a long incline,
just enough you can't step over it.  DH literally pushed me up it, then I pulled
him thru it... what a sight! LOL!

How was your birding trip... I either missed the post or.....

Donna, the net says we will have "snow showers" and pretty cold
weather right through this week.  Of course we sometimes plan our
schedules in opposition to what they say because they are so often
You didn't miss anything.  I didn't post anything about the birding
trip.  Didn't want to be boring or depressing.  The trip was a success
in that we got home safely.  There were far fewer birds than any time
we could remember - fewer species and smaller flocks.  We asked the
naturalists at both Bombay Hook and Chincoteague.  One said it was
the late fall, but the other agreed with me that bird migrations are more
triggered by day length than temperature.  Both places, however, blamed
the severe drought.  There was just not enough water in the impoundments
to attract large flocks.  We saw some snow geese both places - enough to
feel we had our "snow goose fix" for the year - but nothing like the numbers
we have seen in past years.  What was more notable was the number of
species we did not see at all.  On the plus side, there were a pair of bald
eagles perched on a structure outside our window overlooking Chincoteague
Bay several mornings.
The car had a fit of some sort on the day of the "special drive" out to the
end of the island on the service road that is usually closed.  It made awful
screeching noises and clanks for the entire 14 miles and back into town.
This was on Saturday, but the hotel gave us a reference to someone who
could help.  As Chet left the hotel parking lot I could hear the thing
screeching down the street, but by the time he reached the mechanic, it
had completely stopped, never to reappear.  Thank goodness!  We have
an appointment for it on Tuesday - haven't driven it since we got home, but
it behaved perfectly on the long trip back.
Then on the last morning, Chet had one of his "spells" of vertigo or
whatever it is that ails him.  He recovered fairly quickly, and seems almost
back to normal now, but it gave me a pretty bad scare, and I had to do
most of the driving back home.  He was able to do a couple of the sticky
spots, but was quickly ready for me to take over again.
But we did get home safely, and I am very happy and thankful to be here,
even with the snow.  I hope you're right about the weather.  We have a
meeting of my garden club tomorrow - I'm taking a boned and stuffed
chicken, a tomato aspic ring, and a pot of sausage-cabbage-potato
soup.  I wouldn't have bothered with the soup except that it promises
to be cold, and I felt we needed something hot.  Our plan had been to
decorate the Lasdon house, as we have done every year since 1992,
but the management decided they wanted to do it themselves this year,
so we'll just have a jolly lunch. No skin off our noses.
Didn't mean to be so long-winded