Re: OT- donating hair

I am a hairdresser and have cut off lots of hair for others to donate to Locks of Love. I know it is a reputable organization and children are benefitted by it. What a wonderful gift for you to give to some child. I have had several customers/friends that have had cancer and lost their hair. It is always interesting to me how hard it is on them to adjust to not having their hair. Most of the time they have adjusted and even when the hair is growing back in have started going without a wig or scarf. I hope you are able to get it done. My only advice is unless you want really short hair don't let them cut it at the nape above rubber band. I always think it is best to grow it a little longer and cut it down around the shoulders. That way you aren't locked into wearing it short. Just make sure you have 10 inches from the pony tail down.
To: "gardenchat list" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 9:29 PM
Subject: [CHAT] OT- donating hair

I am curious if any of you have donated hair or know someone who has for the American Cancer Society? What I would like to know is if you/they felt they gave it to a worthwhile organization and which one.

My hair is currently waist length. Don't bother to ask why I haven't gotten around to cutting it off, but it seems to be growing like a weed. I have an easy 11 inches I am planning on cutting off and no I don't dye my hair.

What I would like to do is donate my hair to the cancer society so they can make a wig for someone who needs it. Of course my family thinks I am nuts, but that never stopped me before.

I realize that someone is going to make money on my donation, and as long as it is within the labor/materials to produce the wig I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with me donating it to the wrong place and they getting rich on it. My concept is a gift to help others that need it.

I wrote via the american cancer society web site but haven't heard back. I know I need to give them more time, but now that I decided to do this, I want to get on with it.

Thanks for any help, feel free to contact me on or off list.