Re: No gardening?

We had snow Sunday afternoon and dropping temperatures. The snow stayed and invited friends. We have about 4 inches. It melted down some yesterday afternoon, so not sure what our total was. 24F now with clear skies. We left some concord grapes that had grown among the clematis and the chickadees are really going after them. They also like the walnuts that didn't get picked up. I see one of our transient woodpeckers sampling the grapes now. They also like the walnuts and do the littler birds a favor by pecking them open. My cat is transfixed! She doesn't like to go out in the snow, so this is very entertaining for her. We found out the week before Thanksgiving that Ed's mom had end stage cancer in her abdomen. She died the 28th, funeral the 8th, so it has been a hectic few weeks. I'm glad her suffering was short, but we sure miss her. We brought her to our home when her care was too much for the staff at assisted living. I'd hoped to pamper her at home for a few weeks, use those skills I learned in Hospice, but she died the next day, while I was at work. Thank goodness Ed's brother decided to stop by so he wasn't alone. Not the way I'd planned, but death is like that. Hope those of you in the ice storms are all OK. Be careful if you have to be out in it. I've come down with a cold and got to call in sick so I haven't had to do any driving. Holed up with my herb tea & warm blanket listening to Christmas carols. Makes me almost happy to be ill :->
Judy B z6 Idaho
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:08 AM
Subject: [CHAT] No gardening?

Gosh y'all are quiet, I figured there would be a few more messages.
Can't believe no one is out there gardening...in December...two weeks
from Christmas... :-) Anyway hope everyone is okay, we've been watching
all the news about the ice storms and power outages. We had a snidge of
rain last Friday but the TV news departments trotted out their
Stormwatch 2007 graphics for nothing because the promised two-day deluge
did not appear.  Any rain is okay though.
I didn't do any gardening either. Saturday was windy and cold so I did
inside chores. Sunday I got up way before dawn and headed for Las Vegas
with my sister and a couple friends, we went shopping at Cowboy
Christmas again. An entire convention center of western goods, many
wonderful things, but alas I did not manage to cross everything off my
gift list. I did get most of it done though and I bought a couple things
for myself. I'm much better at buying for myself than I am for others!
Went into the greenhouse yesterday and the bay tree is finally putting
out some new leaves, happy happy. I think I imported a critter too
because something is munching on geranium leaves. Might be geranium
budworm so I'll start off by dusting with some BT.  There are a couple
paperwhite blooms outside but unsurprisingly not much is happening out
there.

Cyndi